Author Notes: Who says dieting has to be boring, right?!? Yes, that’s right, these French Toast Waffles are completely diet friendly! Instead of frying the French toast in butter, the waffle maker does all the work. —Kitchen Tested
Makes: 4 french toast waffles
cup unsweetened almond milk
teaspoon vanilla extract
slices raisin bread
tablespoons peanut butter
tablespoons coconut sugar
- Preheat your waffle iron (preferably a Belgian waffle iron) according to package directions and spray with cooking spray so the bread doesn’t stick while cooking.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the eggs, unsweetened almond milk and vanilla extract and set aside.
- Spread peanut butter on four slices of the raisin bread and spread the overripe smashed banana on the other four slices. Combine the peanut butter slices with the banana slices to create sandwiches.
- Dip each sandwich in the egg custard, making sure both sides are soaked. Place the sandwiches in the hot waffle iron and slowly close the top until the iron is closed. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the waffles are no longer soft and are browning on top.
- Carefully remove the French toast waffles from the iron and sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon on both sides. Eat right away or leave in an oven set at 200 degrees F. on a baking sheet until ready to eat.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mash-Up Recipe