If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This galette combines the classic sweet and tart combination of strawberries and rhubarb, with a touch of fresh ginger root for a subtle, but delicious heat. A buttery cornmeal pie crust adds texture and richness. Simple, bright flavors and no fuss -- just how a Spring dessert should be. —julia johnson
for the galette:
- cornmeal pastry dough [recipe below]
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 3 stalks of rhubarb, ends trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces [depending on size, should yield about 1 1/2 cups]
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root [this yields a very subtle warmth -- if you're looking for a more assertive heat, add more]
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
- 1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- vanilla ice cream, for serving
- First, prepare the cornmeal pastry dough [recipe below]. While the dough chills, prepare the filling:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced strawberries and chopped rhubarb. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, ginger, sugar, flour, and salt. Mix to combine well. Allow to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Once pastry dough has chilled, on a floured surface, roll out into a large circle [about 15-inches in diameter]. Roll the dough onto your rolling pin and unroll onto a parchment or Silpat-lined large baking sheet. Add the filling to the center of the dough, leaving a 3-inch border. Working around the circle, carefully fold the border of the dough up over the edges of the filling, making sure to seal everything in, but leaving the majority of the filling exposed.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the exposed border of dough with the beaten egg. Dot the exposed filling with the pieces of butter. Transfer to the oven and bake until crust is golden and filling is bubbling, about 50 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before cutting into wedges. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
For the cornmeal pastry dough:
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 12 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup ice water
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt. Add the butter, and using your hands, work it into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse meal [the butter pieces should be able the size of peas]. Add the water and mix until the dough just comes together. Flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before using.