Author Notes: I often make braised pork shoulder using a Cuban adobo sauce, and recently used the same basic ingredients, adding tomato and vinegar to make a Cuban-influenced North Carolina styled pulled pork. The logical next step, of course, is this: a Cuban made with pulled pork instead of roast pork. This is one of the best reasons ever for making enormous quantities of pulled pork and freezing it in 2-cup deli containers so you can make these whenever the urge strikes - which I suspect will be frequently. Enjoy! ;o) —AntoniaJames
Makes: 2 sandwiches
1 ½ cup pulled pork - I like this “Cuban Adobo” style pulled pork: https://food52.com/recipes...
4 slices Black Forest ham (or Canadian bacon, or even regular bacon, if you like)
1 cup grated cheese, or more to taste – we use a sharp cheddar, but you can use whatever you like. Feel free to slice it instead.
2 Cuban rolls; I highly recommend this: https://food52.com/recipes...
Mayo, to taste
Mustard, whatever kind you prefer, to taste
6-8 sweet pickles, or 4 kosher dills, or ¼ cup sweet and sour red onion jam, or any other fruit chutney
- Slice the rolls lengthwise. Slather mayo and mustard on to taste.
- Very important: Warm up the pulled pork. We do this in a microwave for about 2 minutes on 70% power. You need the pulled pork to be good and hot before you put it on the sandwich, and then, don’t waste any time cooking the sandwich itself.
- While the pork is heating, put two slices of ham on one side of the Cuban roll.
- Divide the pork between the rolls. Immediately put the grated cheese on the warm pulled pork. Put the pickles on. Bring the two sides of the sandwich together.
- We use our panini press for these. If you don’t have one, cook the sandwiches in a dry skillet, that you’ve gotten nice and hot, pressing down on the sandwiches using a second heavy skillet, putting a piece of plain (not waxed) parchment between the sandwich and the top skillet; turn the sandwich over after the bottom has toasted up nicely and replace the skillet.
- Enjoy! ;o)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mash-Up Recipe