If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Make a big batch of Hoppin' John (traditional New Year's Black-eyed Pea Stew) and serve the leftovers as crispy fritters with a spicy aioli. —Early Morning Farm
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 celeriac, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- In a large stock pot, sauté the onions, celeriac, and carrots in olive oil. When softened add beans and stock to the pan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 45 – 50 minutes. Add liquid as necessary. Beans are done when tender. Remove from heat, and season with salt, pepper, and cider vinegar. Serve over rice.
Hoppin' John Fritters
- 2 cups cooked Hoppin' John
- 1/2 cup oat flour or quick or whole oats ground in a food processor
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- corn meal for dredging
- canola oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon pureed chipotle in adobo
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Use a fine mesh strainer to strain excess liquid from the beans. Lightly mash the beans, and then stir oats and egg into the beans. If the mixture looks too soupy, add a few more tablespoons of oats. Spread about a half cup of cornmeal onto a plate. Set the plate and bean mixture next to the stove while the oil heats.
- Heat a 1/2 inch of oil, in a cast iron pan for frying. When the oil is shimmering, drop about a 1/4 cup of the bean mixture onto the cornmeal. Carefully flip and transfer to the skillet. Fry about 3 fritters at a time, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Drain on rack or paper towels.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, and chipotle in a small bowl. Taste and adjust chipotle or vinegar if necessary. Serve each fritter topped with a dollop of the aioli.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mash-Up Recipe