Author Notes: You can mix the batter and pop the pan in the oven, letting the muffins bake while you brew coffee or take a quick shower (or read a newspaper!). Standard mini muffin pans also make the batter-measuring process easier: All you need is a rounded measuring tablespoon to scoop up the batter and portion it into the muffin cups. Adding chocolate and toffee chips only sweeten the deal, and if you really need a pick-me-up, dot the tops with crystallized ginger before baking for extra zing. —Furey and the Feast
Makes 20 mini muffins
- 4 ounces flour
- 2 ounces golden brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup toffee chips
- Optional: Crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a mini-muffin pan with paper liners, or use a nonstick mini-muffin pan.
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a small bowl. In a larger bowl, add melted butter, milk, egg and mashed banana, and mix thoroughly.
- Dump the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients, and whisk with a fork until just combined. Add in chocolate and toffee chips.
- Using a tablespoon measuring spoon, portion out 1 tablespoon of muffin batter into each muffin cup. Top batter with chopped crystallized ginger, if desired.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean. Enjoy your morning.