If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: for a long time (too long) growing up, i wasn't into mexican food. maybe it was because i lived in a small italian populated town where taco bell and old el paso was considered mexican. maybe it was because the first thing that came to mind when i herd mexican was beans & cheese (fart). or maybe it was because i was just an ignorant child. luckily moving to toronto has opened up the glory of mexican food to me. torontonians LOVE mexican. tacos, carnitas, burritos, churros! you name it, toronto has it in every form. thanks to toronto, i don't ever want to go a week again without stuffing some sort of taco or burrito (or both) in my mouth. today i am going to teach you how to make one of my favourite restaurant style tacos at home: beer can chicken tacos with guacamole and pickled red onions. remember, you can never put too much guacamole on your taco. in this post i am going to teach you not only how to make the best chicken tacos, but how to roast the perfect bbq chicken for any meal. note: it is important to make the red onions the day before for best results. i often make them a week in advance and use them for various meals. —modest marce
Makes 8-10 tacos
beer can chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 can of your favourite beer
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chill powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (i use sweet baby ray's)
tacos (guacamole & pickled red onions)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lime, zest & juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- pinches salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 5 black pepper corns
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 8-10 corn tortilla shells
- for the chicken: rub chicken with paprika, oregano, mustard powder, pepper, salt, chili powder and oil. empty half of beer can into a glass and drink. shove the half filled beer can up the chickens carcass. with the bbq preheated to 400 degrees, place chicken on the grill. cook for approximately 1 hour (or until chicken is fully cooked) and continuously base with bbq sauce. let rest until cool enough to handle. shred chicken and toss with remaining bbq sauce. set aside until you are ready to assemble tacos.
- for the guacamole: in a mixing bowl add avocados, small red onion, garlic, lime juice, lime zest, pepper, salt and cilantro. mash until smooth and creamy. stir in tomatoes. set aside until you are ready to assemble tacos.
- for the pickled onions: in a mason jar add large sliced red onions, sugar, salt, vinegar, garlic cloves and peppercorns. seal lid tight and shake until all the flavours are blended.
- to assemble tacos begin with the corn tortilla. top with pulled chicken, guacamole, pickled onions and cilantro. garnish plate with a fresh lime.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Barbecued Meat