If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: it's a hybrid. it's original. it's mustardy. it's creamier than you could dream of. it's comfort. it's fatty fat fat. —eyeoftheavocado
Serves 6-8 adults
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 8 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups milk, whole
- 1 pound sharp cheddar, or 1lb mix of cheddar, gouda & parm
- 2 cups cottage cheese, 4%
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard powder
- 1/2 cup parmigiano, grated
- preheat oven to 375, grease a 9 X 11" glass pan with butter or grape seed oil spray.
- start by grating all your cheese. you may use sharp cheddar solely but gouda, sharp cheddar & parm make a fine mix. keep the 1/2C parmigiano separated for topping.
- follow the directions on the package for 1lb macaroni. salting the water, heavily. drain but don't rinse pasta.
- in a dutch oven melt your butter, when bubbles subside add the flour & stir to form a paste, let cook 2-3 minutes until it darkens slightly.
- in 1C increments add your milk, stirring to incorporate with each addition.
- turn the heat off & add salt, pepper, paprika & mustard.
- while whipping the bechamel sauce with your right hand, dump in the grated cheddar cheese with your left. whip the sauce to melt the cheese. if it doesn't all melt, turn the pan back on medium low and whisk vigorously to melt, making sure not to burn the bottom.
- add the cottage cheese. stir to incorporate. stir in pasta, taste for paprika, mustard, salt & pepper.
- pour macaroni into prepared pan. top with remaining parmigiano. bake for 20 minutes or until it bubbles.
- once ready, let cool for 5 minutes, until bubbles subside. serve warm with your favorite greens & a crisp beer. enjoy.