If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: From The Settlement Cookbook: The Way To A Man's Heart by Lizzie Black Kander —sarah kieffer | the vanilla bean blog
Graham Cracker Cake
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 pound (about 15) finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease and line two 8-inch cake pans (at least 2-inches tall) with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until stiff (3-4 minutes). Transfer whites to a clean bowl and wipe out the mixer bowl.
- In the now-clean standing mixer bowl, beat the butter with the paddle attachment until creamy (1-2 minutes). Add the sugar and beat again until light and fluffy (3-5 minutes). Scrape down the sides and add the egg yolks and vanilla, and beat again until combined.
- Add 1/3 of the graham cracker mixture, and mix on low until combined. Add half of the milk, and then another 1/3 of the graham crackers, and then the milk, and then the remaining graham crackers, mixing until just combined after each addition.
- Remove the mixing bowl from the stand. With a spatula, gently fold in the beaten egg whites until completely combined (no white streaks remaining). Evenly divide the cake batter between the two prepared pans, and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cakes are golden, and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean (or with just a tiny bit of crumb).
- Move cakes to a wire rack, and let them cool in their pans for 30 minutes. Invert on to a wire rack, and let cool completely before frosting. (Cakes can also be wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated over night.)
Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting