If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A sponge cake with coconut buttercream decorated with a DIY cake topper —Oh Sweet Day!
Makes one 5-inch layered cake
cup candy melts, color of your choice
tablespoon canola oil (if melted candy is too thick to pipe)
pieces large egg, room temp, separated
- To make cake topper, outline a template of DAD U ROCK in a relatively thick font on a paper. Place a parchment paper over it.
- Place candy melts in a microwaveable Ziploc bag. Microwave on high for 20 to 30 seconds to completely melt the candy melts. Add oil if it’s too thick to pipe. Push the melted candy toward one corner of the bag. With a pair of scissors, snip off a very small opening.
- Start piping the candy over the template, starting with the outline. Then fill the inside.
- Let it dry completely before peeling the cake topper off the parchment paper.
- Flip the cake topper over, place a toothpick on the back of the cake topper, leaving half out to insert in the cake. Glue the toothpick with candy melts. Let it dry completely.
- To prepare cake layers, preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line the bottom of two 5-inch cake pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl of a standing mixer with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Scrape the meringue in another bowl. Set aside.
- In the same mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and remaining sugar on high speed until thick and light in color, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla, lemon juice and zest. Mix for another minute.
- Sift flour over the top of egg yolk mixture, followed by folding in half of the meringue.
- Fold the rest of the meringue into the batter until just incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pans evenly and smooth the top.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the cakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Run a thin knife around the cake edge and place the cake on a wire rack to cool completely. Cut cakes horizontally to make four cake layers.
- To prepare buttercream, beat butter for a few minutes in a standing mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Add powdered sugar and turn your mixer on low, beat until the sugar incorporates with the butter. Add vanilla and coconut milk, beat on medium speed for another 3 minutes, or until buttercream becomes light and fluffy.
- To assemble the cake, sandwich each cake layer with a thick layer of buttercream. Smear a thin layer of frosting on the top and sides of the cake to create the “naked”effect.
- Carefully place the cake topper on the cake.
- Cover and refrigerate the cake. Leave out in room temperature for at least an hour prior to serving.