Author Notes: Ah, a few moments alone at the lake house at last. A rainy day, the perfect opportunity to get some writing done. But wait,. those bananas in the hanging basket are getting awfully black, and we have nothing for dessert this evening. Better make a cake. There's no loaf pan and no baking powder. I have baking soda, and the rum from the dark 'n' stormys we drank during last night's dark and stormy power outage will be a nice addition. I adapted this recipe from Aunt Hollys Banana bread, which appeared in Cookie Magazine in March 2009 and I found on epicurious.com This cake is fabulous for breakfast, tea time, or dessert. —Giulia Melucci
cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
egg, lightly beaten
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon dark rum
cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour a 9-inch cake pan
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl,
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Invert onto plate and let it cool a little more.
- Serve on its own, or with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.