If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Louisiana chicken pasta incorporates all the flavours we enjoy as a family – creamy, luscious, rich sauce with the aroma and flavours of the Cajun seasoning wafting through tossed through perfectly cooked penne and topped with succulent, fried Cajun spiced chicken pieces. And yes, a generous grating of Parmesan to transport you to culinary heaven. —Dhanya Samuel
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, chopped ( you can mix red green and yellow)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun spice or Creole seasoning
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
Pasta and chicken
- 300 grams boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into big cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun spice
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or parsley
- Salt, to season
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 250 grams Fusili
- Chilli flakes (optional), for garnish
- For Cajun Sauce: • Melt butter and olive oil in large pan over medium heat. Add the peppers, and onion to same pan, until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. • Add garlic and crushed red pepper to pan and sauté 3 minutes. • Add cream and chicken stock and mix in the Cajun spice blend. • Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. • Add basil and Parmesan cheese to sauce, stirring to incorporate. • Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, and simmer till the sauce thickens.
- For the chicken: • Marinate chicken pieces with Cajun seasoning and leave for 30 minutes. • Mix breadcrumbs, flour, and Parmesan cheese together. • Place milk in dish for dipping. • Dip chicken in breadcrumb mixture and then in milk and then back in breadcrumbs. • Heat oil in a pan, fry the chicken pieces till golden brown and keep aside.
- For the final dish: • Cook the fusili in large pot of boiling salted water and drain. • Add sauce and toss to coat. • Place pasta with sauce on plate, sprinkle chilli flakes and top with chicken breast. • Serve hot and tuck in!