Louisiana chicken pasta incorporates all the flavours we enjoy as a family – creamy, luscious, rich sauce with the aroma and flavours of the Cajun seasoning wafting through tossed through perfectly cooked penne and topped with succulent, fried Cajun spiced chicken pieces. And yes, a generous grating of Parmesan to transport you to culinary heaven. —Dhanya Samuel
bell pepper, chopped ( you can mix red green and yellow)
garlic cloves, minced
crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups
cups heavy cream
1 1/2 teaspoons
Cajun spice or Creole seasoning
low sodium chicken broth
Pasta and chicken
boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into big cubes
1 1/2 teaspoons
parmesan cheese (grated)
fresh basil or parsley
Salt, to season
freshly ground black pepper, to season
Chilli flakes (optional), for garnish
In This Recipe
For Cajun Sauce:
• Melt butter and olive oil in large pan over medium heat.
Add the peppers, and onion to same pan, until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
• Add garlic and crushed red pepper to pan and sauté 3 minutes.
• Add cream and chicken stock and mix in the Cajun spice blend.
• Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
• Add basil and Parmesan cheese to sauce, stirring to incorporate.
• Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, and simmer till the sauce thickens.
For the chicken:
• Marinate chicken pieces with Cajun seasoning and leave for 30 minutes.
• Mix breadcrumbs, flour, and Parmesan cheese together.
• Place milk in dish for dipping.
• Dip chicken in breadcrumb mixture and then in milk and then back in breadcrumbs.
• Heat oil in a pan, fry the chicken pieces till golden brown and keep aside.
For the final dish:
• Cook the fusili in large pot of boiling salted water and drain.
• Add sauce and toss to coat.
• Place pasta with sauce on plate, sprinkle chilli flakes and top with chicken breast.
• Serve hot and tuck in!