If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is the perfect side dish to heat up any meal! —Texas Pete
- 2 tablespoons Texas Pete Hot Sauce
- 1 cup Green Mountain Gringo Medium Salsa, drained, pulsed in food processor
- 3 cups peanut, grape seed or canola oil for frying
- 1 1/4 cups white cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, thick shred
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat fryer to 350 degrees or pour 4 inches of oil into a deep, heavy pot. Clip a candy thermometer on the side of the pot and bring to 350 degrees over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, garlic, Texas Pete® Hot Sauce and Green Mountain Gringo® Medium Salsa. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Add cheese and bacon. Mix until just combined.
- Using 2 tablespoons or a #30 scoop, carefully drop balls of batter into fryer. Fry for about 4 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Transfer to paper towel lined sheet tray and sprinkle with kosher salt to taste. Serve immediately.