If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you think sorbets can't be creamy, you've never had a good chocolate sorbet. I first encountered chocolate sorbetto at one of the hundreds of gelato shops in Florence, and when The Penny Ice Creamery opened in Santa Cruz, I was ecstatic to hear that their amazing dark chocolate sorbet is a permanent fixture on the menu. But of course, I had to try to create my own because I can't always afford gourmet ice cream, and although I can't claim to have beaten Penny's sorbet, I've never met a dark chocolate lover who was disappointed.
I add a bit of coffee to deepen the chocolate flavor, but if you don't want to use coffee, replace with 1/4 cup of water.
This recipe was created by my amazing daughter, Hanna, who produced many delicious vegan recipes. Check out Hannasvegankitchen.blogspot.com. —Pegan
Makes 1 pint
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 3/4 cup water, separated
- 1/4 cup strong, freshly brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 ounces vegan dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the agave with 1/4 cup of the water, the coffee, cocoa, and salt. Bring to a boil and let boil about 1 minute, whisking continuously. Remove from heat and whisk in the chocolate until melted, then add the vanilla and remaining 1/2 cup water. Pour into a blender and blend for a minute or two (if you don't have a blender, don't worry, but just be sure to whisk the mixture very well).
- Chill the mixture for at least 3 hours or overnight. I should warn you this refrigerated mixture makes for a delicious chocolate mousse if you chill it in individual ramekins, but otherwise, transfer the mousse into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. I like the frozen version slightly better because it's less sweet, so the chocolate flavor is even more intense.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert