Author Notes: A dairy-free, Indian- or middle-eastern- tinged revamp of pistachio ice cream. With chocolate, because, come on. Chocolate. —wenderzz
cups shelled, unsalted pistachios
Filtered water to cover, for soaking
3.5 oz. can coconut milk
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons
cup honey (or agave nectar if you are vegan)
tablespoons light corn syrup
teaspoon ground cardamom
teaspoon vanilla extract
teaspoons cognac (optional)
cup chopped dark chocolate or dark chocolate chips
- Soak pistachios in filtered water overnight. Drain and rinse. Optional: peel off the dark skins to get a better color and texture. This is a tedious step, and I don't think the end product would suffer too much if you skipped it.
- Place the soaked pistachios and coconut milk in blender; process until smooth (taking breaks to scrape down the sides and blend again if you have a less-than-high-powered blender like mine).
- Bring the pistachio milk, sugar, honey and corn syrup to a simmer in saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, stir in cardamom, vanilla extract, and cognac and set aside to cool. Strain through a sieve.
- Cover and chill mixture in refrigerator for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Process ice cream as per manufacturer’s instructions. In the last minute of processing, add in chocolate. Cover and freeze.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Middle Eastern Recipe