If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This star was born just last week, as I was making a tofu chocolate mousse torte. The tofu looked past its prime, so I chucked it and looked for other dairy-free ways to finish making my dessert using what I had on hand in the refrigerator. I settled on a pint of coconut vanilla yogurt and some peanuts to get the rest of the job done. I fretted all day, and sampled smidgens of the mixture a dozen times to see if it was setting. I needn’t have worried: it was just fabulous! It was all I could do to save a piece for my children to taste the following day.
This dessert has all possible assets beside being heavenly and totally wholesome: No baking needed, dairy-free, no eggs, and easily adapted to gluten-free. You will be totally satisfied with a small serving: mine yielded about twenty portions! —Chef Lévana Kirschenbaum
Serves: 20 portions
ounces packages graham crackers (Gluten-free option: 2 8oz packages)
cup vegetable oil
cups semisweet chocolate chips
cup cocoa powder
tablespoons instant coffee powder
tablespoons rum or brandy
container of tofutti or other good brand dairy-free cream cheese
pint vanilla coconut yogurt
cup peanut butter or other nut butter
- In a food processor, finely grind the crackers with the oil
- Set aside 2/3 cup of the mixture.
- Press the remaining mixture very firmly into a 10 inch pie plate.
- On a very low flame, melt the chips, cocoa, coffee, water and rum (or microwave 2 minutes).
- Transfer to a food processor, with all remaining ingredients, and process until perfectly smooth, a full minute.
- Pour the mixture over the crust.
- Chill. Before serving, sprinkle the reserved crumb mixture evenly over the top. Cut the pie in wedges.