- Serves 20 portions
This star was born just last week, as I was making a tofu chocolate mousse torte. The tofu looked past its prime, so I chucked it and looked for other dairy-free ways to finish making my dessert using what I had on hand in the refrigerator. I settled on a pint of coconut vanilla yogurt and some peanuts to get the rest of the job done. I fretted all day, and sampled smidgens of the mixture a dozen times to see if it was setting. I needn’t have worried: it was just fabulous! It was all I could do to save a piece for my children to taste the following day.
This dessert has all possible assets beside being heavenly and totally wholesome: No baking needed, dairy-free, no eggs, and easily adapted to gluten-free. You will be totally satisfied with a small serving: mine yielded about twenty portions! —Chef Lévana Kirschenbaum
packages graham crackers (Gluten-free option: 2 8oz packages)
semisweet chocolate chips
instant coffee powder
rum or brandy
container of tofutti or other good brand dairy-free cream cheese
pint vanilla coconut yogurt
peanut butter or other nut butter
- In a food processor, finely grind the crackers with the oil
- Set aside 2/3 cup of the mixture.
- Press the remaining mixture very firmly into a 10 inch pie plate.
- On a very low flame, melt the chips, cocoa, coffee, water and rum (or microwave 2 minutes).
- Transfer to a food processor, with all remaining ingredients, and process until perfectly smooth, a full minute.
- Pour the mixture over the crust.
- Chill. Before serving, sprinkle the reserved crumb mixture evenly over the top. Cut the pie in wedges.