If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is super easy, has a bold and delicious coconut flavor, and can be made into cupcakes or a cake. It is always a crowd pleaser and vegan! But shhhh, no one needs to know. —Alison Mahoney
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Grapeseed Oil
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Extract
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Coconut (toasted)
- 1 3/4 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese (Vegan Option: Tofutti)
- 1/2 cup Butter (Vegan Option: Earth Balance)
- 4 cups Confectioners Sugar
- 4-5 tablespoons Coconut Milk
- Coconut for Garnish (large shavings, toasted, flakes)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Pour the coconut on a parchment lined sheet tray and place in oven until golden brown (7-10 minutes.)
- Stir the coconut milk and pour into a one cup liquid measure with the apple cider vinegar, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, sift together the dry ingredients.
- Add the sugar and toasted coconut, and mix together.
- To the coconut milk add the oil, vanilla, and coconut extract and pour into the bowl of the mixer
- Mix until incorporated, but do not over mix.
- Pour cupcake batter 3/4 of the way up in a lined cupcake tin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool before frosting
- For the frosting: Put the butter and the cream cheese in the bowl of a mixer and mix with a paddle attachment on medium for 1 minute.
- Add 2 cups of sifted confectioners sugar and 2 tablespoons of coconut milk and mix on high until incorporated.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of sifted confectioners sugar and mix on high, adding the coconut milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired creamy whipped texture. * Note the more air incorporated into the frosting the lighter and more airy it is, so don't be afraid to whip it. Whip it good.
- Decorate cooled cupcakes and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coconut
More Great Recipes: Desserts