If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Very easy and universal Coconut Soup. It goes well with chicken, fish, shrimp or vegetarian. —Iglika Petrova/Sprig of Thyme
- 2 tablespoons oil (olive, sunflower or coconut)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced in 1-inch long strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced in 1-inch long strips
- 2 medium size tomatoes, chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 piece medium size ginger root, grated
- 2 stalks lemongrass, top dry part removed and smashed to release fragrance
- 4 kaffir lime leaves (if not available use the zest of 1 lime)
- 12 ounces fish (mahi-mahi or other firm fish), cut into bite size - or- 1.5 pounds of skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- handful of cilantro leaves
- Heat the oil in a large pot, add the peppers and onions, and lower the heat to medium-high. Sauté for 2 minutes stirring frequently. Add the curry paste/powder, tomatoes and garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Add the coconut milk, chicken stock, lemongrass, ginger, kaffir lime leaves and salt to taste. Stir gently. Bring the soup to a boil, then set the heat on low and simmer for 15 minutes stirring from time to time.
- If using chicken, toss the chicken into the soup and simmer until the chicken is cooked through. If using fish, add the fish and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the fish is soft and tender (be careful to not overcook; fish can easily become tough and chewy if cooked for a long time).
- Remove the lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves from the soup, add the lime juice and serve with fresh cilantro leaves, lime wedges and steamed rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hands-Off Recipe