If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired by Sarabeth's Bakery, these adorably rotund little cookies get an update. These Gluten-free Chocolate Coconut Chubbies boast a slimmer profile and a textural addition with toasted coconut. A hint of espresso seals the deal, rounding out the intensely rich chocolate flavor.
Since they are pretty much 99.9% pure chocolate, it is easy to use a gluten-free flour substitute. I developed this particular oat flour version for a gluten-free friend, but I've also made these cookies with AP flour and even whole wheat pastry flour.
You can swap out some of the chocolate chips for toasted and chopped nuts. I love to use toasted and chopped almonds; the resulting cookie tastes like an Almond Joy!
Makes: 2 dozen cookies
ounces dark chocolate, roughly chopped
tablespoons unsalted butter
tablespoons instant espresso powder (Medaglia D' Oro is my favorite)
cup oat flour
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon kosher salt
cup white sugar
tablespoons vanilla extract
cups dark chocolate chips
cups unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Melt butter, chocolate and dissolved espresso over a ban marie (hot water bath). While the chocolate mix cools, sift and mix dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Whip eggs on medium high with a stand mixer until foamy and thickened (about 30 seconds). Increase speed to high and gradually add in sugar. Whip for 3 minutes until very thick. Add vanilla. Reduce mixer speed and beat in tepid chocolate.
- Change to paddle attachment and slowly add in dry mixture.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix in coconut & chocolate chips. (If you use a stand mixer, the chips or nuts will bang up against the bowl and paddle)
- FOR BIG COOKIES: Scoop 2 inch balls. 6 to a half size sheet pan. Bake at 350 F for 12 minutes or until lightly set, rotating pans and racks halfway through. Cookies will be a little gooey in the center.
- FOR BITE SIZE COOKIES: Scoop 1 inch balls. 10 to a half size sheet pan. Bake at 350 F for 9 minutes or until lightly set, rotating pans and racks halfway through. Cookies will be a little gooey in the center.
- Let cookies cool until set. Enjoy with a tall glass of cold milk or a scoop of ice cream. Cookies will keep in a tightly sealed container in the fridge.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coconut