If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Who knew that Marcel Duchamp was a huge chess fan? Or that coconut and lemongrass go so well together? Two fun facts = one delicious pie!
Inspired by A Beautiful Mess and the Four and Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book —primarycookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1 splash apple cider vinegar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 piece lemongrass
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, toasted
- Make the crust the night before: Sift the dry ingredients into the bowl of a large food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture is made up of pea-sized pieces of butter. Combine the ice water and vinegar, and add 2 T. of it to the dough at a time (I needed 3 total), continuing to pulse with the food processor until incorporated. Stop only once the mixture resembles a dough you can work with. If you add too much water, don’t panic, just add another T. or two of flour. Flatten the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill overnight.
- The next day, lightly flour your work surface as well as your rolling pin, and slowly roll the dough out, starting from the center, until you have a 12-13 inch circle. Carefully transfer the crust to your pie plate, gently pressing into place, and leaving about an inch of overhang. Trim and shape your crust, and then poke a few holes throughout with a fork. Let chill while you get your filling ready.
- To make the filling: Remove the tough outer layer of the lemongrass stalk, and finely chop the bottom 4 inches. Place in the bowl of your food processor with the sugar, and pulse until combined. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, vanilla extract and melted butter. Add in the lemongrass sugar, cornmeal, flour and vinegar. Slowly pour the filling into your chilled crust. Top with toasted coconut and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes, or until the pie filling has set and the top is golden brown. Let cool for at least an hour and then dig in!
More Great Recipes: Desserts