Author Notes: A fantastic summer cake recipe that features Meyer Lemons and apricots originally inspired by Bon Appetite! —Mallory Mitchell
Makes: 1 cake
cup unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
cups all-purpose flour plus more for pan
tablespoon baking powder
cups granulated sugar
cup zest of 8 lemons
cup fresh lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 350, butter-flour your bundt pan (set aside), measure out all your ingredients
- Mix baking powder, salt, and flour into medium size bowl and set aside
- Mix sugar and lemon zest into large bowl (I mean LARGE, this recipe makes a ton of batter) then rub the sugar/lemon in your hands until it becomes a thicker lemon sugar combo
- Add butter (75% melted) to lemon sugar mix then blend until the mix is light and fluffy (4 mins or so) then addd eggs one at a time, scrap bowl and mix between each egg addition
- This last part is where I think the difference was made in the texture of this kick ass bundt cake. In a 2/3 ratio you want to add your dry ingredients and buttermilk to the rest of the mix. What I mean by this is while mixing, add 1/3 dry mix then blend, add 1/2 milk, then blend more, then add more dry and more milk until it’s all really light and smooth. You’ll notice a difference in how much batter you get from this as soon as the mix really starts to blend out. From here you just pour it evenly into your bundt pan then smooth out the top. Depending on your oven I would do 50-70 mins at 350.
- The glaze comes last and to get that ready just add your lemon juice and preserves to a small saucepan. Bring that to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until glaze is reduced. Strain your glaze into a small pitcher or bowl then let it sit for about 2 mins. When it looks like it’s about to get hard that’s when you want to drizzle it along the top of the cake. If you do it right from the heat (like I did with this cake) most of the glaze will slide off and land on the plate/stand you’ve got the cake resting on. From there dig in and for added yumminess serve it with some old fashion vanilla ice cream!