If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My favorite pita place is a 30 minute drive away so often, I just whip up chicken souvlaki from the comfort of my own home and this includes marinating the chicken myself, making my own tzatziki, and making flatbread pita from scratch! —Rach Kim
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (<110F)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry active yeast (one packet)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
Chicken Souvlaki & Chunky Tzatziki & Pita Toppings
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 baby seedless cucumbers
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- diced tomatoes
- feta crumbles
- diced onion
- diced avocado
- minced parsley
- pickled peppers
- hot sauce
- To make the flatbread pita: Start by mixing the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let stand until foamy (which will indicate that the yeast is alive).
- Add flour to a large bowl. Create a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture, olive oil, and salt. Stir with a wooden spoon until the dough forms.
- Scoop the dough out onto a clean working surface and knead until smooth (approximately 10 minutes).
- Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover. Let rise until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll out into 1/4" thick rounds. Place onto a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake at 350F for 2 minutes. Cool.
- Toast the pitas in a pan over medium heat with a little butter. Cook on each side for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden.
- To make the chicken: Cut the chicken thighs into 1" chunks and put in a bowl with garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and olive oil. Stir and cover. Chill and marinate for 2 hours.
- Skewer the chicken and cook on a hot grill pan (or an actual grill) until cooked through and lightly charred.
- To make the chunky tzatziki: Grate the cucumbers and squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Combine the cucumber, yogurt, minced garlic, lemon juice, and salt and stir until combined. Refrigerate until needed. (This tastes even better the next day.)
- Serve up all of the ingredients and let everyone make their own pitas. Grab a pita, smear with tzatziki, top with chicken, feta crumbles, tomatoes, onion, avocado, minced parsley, and hot sauce. Serve pickled peppers on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Chicken
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Middle Eastern Recipe