If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is adapted from Lottie + Doof's Best Tomato soup. It's a bit less labor intensive but still yields a delicious, deeply flavorful soup. —Allison
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon (heaping) tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until soft and pale golden.
- Add garlic and cook for two minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and allspice. Cook until tomato paste begins to caramelize and stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in tomatoes, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Break up tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Add broth, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Generously crack in some black pepper, and salt to taste.
- Bring soup to a simmer. Simmer, partially covered, for at least 30 minutes, though the longer the better.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Stir in cream and enjoy!
More Great Recipes: