If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A base recipe for a moist vegan cake. Its delicious in its simplicity and even if you're not vegan, worth an experiment. Its also a blank canvas that can be easily adapted to suit ones tastes. I substitute a ¼ of the flour for cocoa if I'm looking for a chocolate cake, I add chai spices, substitute coconut milk/extract for a tropical spin, add zests, fruit purees, swap brown sugar for the white, use agave instead of honey, etc. Its wonderfully versatile. —PieceOfLayerCake
Makes 2, 8" cake layers
- 2 ½ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or coconut milk, or soy milk, or...you get the picture)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cups neutral flavored oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease two, 8" cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to blend. In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond milk, vinegar, oil, honey and vanilla until well mixed. While whisking (either by hand or in a mixer), pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients ⅓ at a time, ensuring that there are no lumps. Whisk only until the batter just comes together.
- Distribute the batter evenly between the two pans and bake for 30 - 35 minutes, or until the cake springs back when gently poked. Allow the cakes to cool in their pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Top with your favorite "butter"cream, a light glaze, or just grab chunks and stuff them in your mouth behind the refrigerator door. Kept airtight, the cake will keep well at room temperature for 3 - 4 days, or wrapped, it will keep frozen for up to 2 months.
More Great Recipes: Cakes