If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sweet and flaky, these Chocolate Chip Scones are bang-on, slathered in creamy butter, strawberry jam and, dare we say, a dollop of clotted cream. —bitememore
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or rubbing between fingers, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in chocolate chips. Add buttermilk and vanilla, stirring just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly, 5 or 6 times, to gather into a large ball. Do not overwork the ball or the result will be tough scones. Divide the ball of dough in half and gently pat each into 8-inch flat rounds. Brush the top of each with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Using a sharp knife, cut each circle into 6 even triangles and place on prepared baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Bake 16-18 minutes until tops are golden.