Author Notes: Think of this as kulfi with a kick. Rose water helps to give the ice cream a heady floral scent and, aside from adding flavor, the pistachio liquer gives it a slight chewiness. Serve it with your favorite Indian meal and you'll be racing through the nan, straight for dessert. —hillary
Makes: 1.25 pints
teaspoons ground green cardamom
cups half & half
cup heavy cream
teaspoons rose water
tablespoons Dumante (pistachio liquer)
- Heat half & half and cardamom over low heat, until it comes to a simmer. Once it is simmering, add the sugar and allow the mixture to continue heating until the sugar is dissolved and the flavor of the cardamom has infused, about 10-15 minutes. Take care that your mixture does not boil.
- Remove cardamom infused half & half from the heat and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Place the egg yolks in a blender and mix, streaming in the cardamom half & half slowly until both are well incorporated.
- Add heavy cream, Dumante and rose water to the blender and mix.
- Chill your ice cream base until is has completely cooled, then churn according to your ice cream maker instructions.