Author Notes: I'm often in search of pasta sauces my vegan son-in-law (who will not eat anything with added oil) will eat. There are a number of cauliflower alfredo sauces out there, but none suited him, so though I owe all of those recipes for inspiration, I made this up. —louisez
cup dry white wine
medium-large head cauliflower, cut in florets
cup vegetable broth
saffron, dissolved in a little hot water
cayenne or chipotle powder
a few Tbs. each chopped fresh parsley and chives
salt and pepper to taste
- Combine wine and garlic in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat till garlic is fragrant and wine has reduced by half.
- Add the cauliflower, saffron and water it was mixed with, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer till cauliflower is very tender (this should take 30-40 minutes).
- Add nutmeg, cayenne or chipotle powder, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender (or a food processor, in batches), puree till smooth. Simmer till creamy, not thin, consistency (this should only take a few minutes). Add parsley and chives and serve over pasta.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe