Author Notes: A quick and filling recipe! Pakora's are a staple at most Indian restaurants and now you can make them at home - unfried! The recipe is versatile, change up the veggies as you please. —Generously Seasoned
Makes: 1 belgian pakora
1 tablespoon of besan/chickpea flour
2 tablespoons water
cup of each slices onions, grated carrot, grated zucchini, chopped kale
teaspoon salt or according to personal taste
teaspoons red chili powder (paprika or cayenne)
teaspoon baking soda
a few churns of coarse black pepper
grape seed oil (spray)
- Turn the waffle iron to a low heat. I used a belgian waffle iron from Waring and set it to heat level 3.
- Measure and prep all ingredients. Slicing the onions, grating the carrot/zucchini, and chopping the kale finely helps the veggies fall and fit perfectly into the waffle iron squares. Place all of the ingredients except for the baking soda in a small bowl and mix with a fork.
- Generously spray grape seed oil on both sides of the waffle iron. I have been playing with this recipe for some time now and have learned that grape seed oil works best to prevent sticking and coconut oil works best at creating a crispy waffle pakora. Using a spray oil allowed me to evenly coat the waffle iron. Coconut oil is not available in a spray bottle and I got tired of peeling and scraping pakora out of all the dips and squares in the waffle iron. Use a misto oil spray bottle or spray oil of choice if you don’t have grape seed oil in a spray bottle.
- Right before pouring the pakora batter into the waffle iron, mix in the baking soda. Pour batter into the center of the waffle iron and spread out the batter all around the iron with a spatula.
- Close the waffle iron and turn it around. My waffle maker beeps when ready but don’t rush to open up the iron as this takes time to cook. After the first beep, move it to heat setting 4 and then to 5. 6 if you want your pakora waffle to be well done. (place a paper towel under the iron to catch any drips)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe