If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Banana and coconut lend there sweetness to these hearty, nutty wheat muffins. —Colleen Stem
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds plus 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 cup flaked unsweetend coconut
- Preheat oven to 350
- n a small bowl, mix 3 tablespoons warm water to the chia seeds and let sit for at least 5 minutes (10 is better) In a large bowl, peel and mash the bananas until they turn into a kind of chunky soupy puree. Add in brown sugar, chia seed mixture, vanilla extract, and the melted coconut oil (make sure it's melted or it won't incorporate into the mixture) Mix together. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix the wet mixture with the dry until combined then mix in the coconut flakes.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin and fill each cup about 3/4 the way up with batter. Sprinkle each muffin with brown sugar and place in oven on center rack. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tops 0f the muffins are golden brown and a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from tin and let cool. Serve as is or maybe with a smudge of coconut butter, or anything you want really. No need for fork, just use you mouth.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe