If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Though it's a little more involved, this recipe for homemade ice cream is well worth the effort. If you like creamy, fruity ice cream and trying out new flavor combinations, you'll love this dish.
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/3 1 1/3 cups plus 3 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 2 cups peeled, chopped black plums (such as 'Methley')
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1. Whisk together first 4 ingredients and 1 1/3 cups sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking often, 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture just begins to boil. Pour mixture into a medium-size metal bowl. Fill a large bowl halfway with ice water. Place bowl containing custard mixture in ice water, and cool completely (about 30 minutes), whisking occasionally. Cover and chill custard mixture 2 hours.
- 2. Meanwhile, stir together plums, corn syrup, salt, and remaining 3 Tbsp. sugar in a small saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 12 minutes or until plums are very tender. Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Cover and chill plum mixture 2 hours.
- 3. Pour custard mixture into freezer container of a 2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. (Instructions and times may vary.) Transfer ice cream to a freezer-safe bowl or pan, and freeze 1 hour. Meanwhile, freeze plum mixture 30 minutes. Dollop frozen plum mixture over frozen ice cream, and gently swirl.
Note: We tested with Cuisinart Pure Indulgence Frozen Yogurt-Sorbet & Ice Cream Maker.