If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Dal (lentil soup), millions of people eat each day in India and it is a main dish in almost every meal they make. It accompanies rice, rotis and even bread at times. This recipe is a take at the traditional way to make Dal and is super quick. All you need to do is add ingredients into the boiled lentil and you are ready with a bowl of piping hot lentil soup. —Shubho Dutta
- 2 cups lentil
- 3/4 tin tomato
- 1&1/2 red onion
- handfuls spinach
- 1 courgette
- cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 dry chili
- paprika (optional)
- sugar to taste
- salt to taste
- • Put about 2 – 3 TBS of oil in the pot and let it heat.
- • Add the cumin, chilli, garlic and chopped onions.
- • Fry the onions on a good heat for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- • Add the turmeric powder and tinned tomatoes.
- • Stir it and then cover it. Let it cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
- • Cut the courgette anyway you want. It goes for the paprika as well.
- Add the vegetable towards the end so that they don’t melt but remain crunchy.
- • Add the dal (lentil) and mix it well. Add about 3 – 4 cups of boiling water.
- • Add 1 ½ TS of brown sugar and about 1 TS of salt.
- • Optional – you can add 1 or 2 vegetable stalk at this stage.
- • Add the chopped vegetables and the spinach leaves.
- • Stir it and let it cook for 5 – 6 minutes.
- • Put about two tablespoon of ketchup. Mix it nicely.
- • Serve it with a garnishing of coriander leaves.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe