If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An easy dessert for two. Vegan banana ice cream topped with a pecan & buckwheat crunch and warm chocolate sauce. Chuck those overripe bananas in the freezer because this sundae is: crunchy, sweet, hearty, gluten free, indulgent and a lot more. You can make the sauce and the crunch ahead of time and reheat the sauce before serving. —Margherita Tonolini
Pecan & buckwheat crunch (+ banana ice cream)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat groats
- 20 grams pecans
- 2 ripe bananas (peeled and frozen)
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 6 tablespoons +1 tsp water
- 1 tablespoon +1 tsp sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 20 grams dark chocolate (minimum 62%)
- For the CRUNCH: Line a baking sheet with baking paper and set aside. Place the sugar and oil in a small pan and cook over medium heat, until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is brown (ish), not necessary boiling, but if you dip a wooden spoon in it you should see bubbles appearing on the spoon sides. Add the pecans and buckwheat, stir to coat and transfer the mixture immediately onto the baking sheet, spreading it evenly. Set aside and make the chocolate sauce. Once the crunch has cooled down (about 5 min) break it in small pieces with your hands. For the ICE CREAM: Pell the bananas and freeze them overnight. Remove the bananas from the freezer, break them in two and place them in the bowl of a food processor/ blender. Blend until you obtain a crumble-like texture, add the honey and keep blending until smooth (scrape the edges of the food processor every now and then).
- Place water and sugar in a small pan and bring to a boil. Add cocoa, cook over low heat, stirring occasionally to break the cocoa lumps. Bring to a simmer, then remove the pan from the heat. Add the chocolate, whisk until the chocolate is completely melted. Serve warm. Place two scoops of ice cream in each glass, sprinkle some pecan-buckwheat crunch and drizzle the chocolate sauce over.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe