If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My neighbors have a plum tree that leans over the fence over the pathway that leads to my house. After waiting all summer for these funny oblong plums to ripen, I picked some and made this simple, rustic plum galette —Annie Fassler | Serious Crust
For the dough
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut into chunks
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 cup ice water, plus more if needed
For the filling
- 1/4 cup almonds or almond meal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 14-18 Italian plums (or 6-8 regular plums), cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- To make the dough, mix the all purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter and shortening, and mix until there are no pieces larger than a pea.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg yolk, vinegar, and 1/4 cup of ice water. Drizzle this mixture over the flours and butter, and mix until combined and the dough comes together. If the dough is too dry, add more ice water, one tablespoon at a time. Collect the dough, form it into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (and up to 2 days).
- Preheat your oven to 400° F. In a food processor, combine the almonds, granulated sugar, and all purpose flour, and process until there is a coarse meal. If you're using ground almonds, simply combine it with the sugar and flour in a small bowl. Set the almond mixture aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sliced plums, lemon zest, and brown sugar, tossing to coat evenly. Set aside.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the filling is bubbling and the edges of the crust are golden brown. Allow to cool for at least 1 hour. Enjoy with ice cream of freshly whipped cream.