If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One pot sweet potato chili recipe loaded with sausage, white beans, mushrooms and spices. Can be made vegetarian, vegan or pork-free too. Eat all week long. —Corinne Cuozzo
- 1 pound ground sausage meat, hot (better) or sweet
- 2 cups low-sodium white beans, rinsed if canned
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 4 pieces garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon herbs de provence
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- lemon juice, to taste
- crushed red pepper, to taste
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- Dice the potatoes, place in a bowl, and toss in one teaspoon olive oil. Microwave for 5-8 minutes until softened and cooked through thoroughly (yep, you can cook potatoes in the microwave, it is so easy).
- While this is going, heat the remaining two teaspoons olive oil in a large pot and cook the garlic until softened. Do not burn. Add the meat, and all of the spices and cook until the meat is nice and browned.
- Add the white beans, stir well and cover. Allow to continue cooking. In the mean time, puree your sweet potatoes. You may need to do two batches if your mechanism is small. Use the broth or cream to facilitate the pureeing process, as in, add the broth and / or cream to the potatoes, then puree, then add everything to the pot of chili. It will make the puree easier.
- Once everything is in the pot, crack lots and lots of black pepper into the chili, stir well and cover. Continue adding black pepper to taste.
- If your chili is too sweet or salty (because of the potato or stock, etc.), add a few drops of lemon juice at a time and stir, tasting each time. The citrus will counteract any excess sweetness or saltiness.
- Allow to simmer, uncovered, for as long as you can. 45 minutes or an hour if possible, but 25 minutes at the very least. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pot Meal