If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: About This Recipe: These cookies are soft and chewy- perfect for pairing with ice cream and withstanding a bit of freeze if you prepare the sammie ahead of time. However, the truly exciting element in this recipe is the flour. I just discovered One Degree Organic Foods’ Sprouted Spelt Flour, and so far I’m hooked! I couldn’t agree more with the company’s tagline “Every ingredient has a story.” It’s more than a tagline though. Each package includes a picture of the farmer responsible for that grain. —With The Grains
Makes 12 ice cream sandwiches
- 1 cup organic, unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup organic creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups organic coconut palm sugar
- 2 large eggs (organic/cage-free)
- 2 1/2 cups organic sprouted spelt flour (One Degree Organic Foods)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- organic vanilla ice cream
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and peanut butter until smooth.
- Add sugar, and continue to mix until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- With the mixer running, add flour mixture in two batches, mixing well after each addition. Continue mixing until a dough forms.
- Form dough into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap; refrigerate until firm, at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls. Place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Press down each dough ball using the tines of a fork, once vertically and once horizontally, to make the traditional crosshatch pattern on the cookies. Transfer to oven. Bake 14 to 16 minutes, rotating baking sheet once during baking. Let cool completely.
- To Assemble: Place 1 scoop of ice cream on the bottom side of a cookie. Top with a cookie, squish gently to even out the ice cream, and enjoy! Note: If you want to prepare all the ice cream sandwiches at once, wrap each ice cream sandwich with plastic wrap individually, and freeze. Keep frozen up to 1 month.