If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Loaded with sweet juicy blueberries and raspberries - crazy moist with crunchy bits of almond streusel! —garlic and zest
for the cake:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1/2 pint fresh raspberries
for the streusel:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9" cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Use the tines of a fork to thoroughly combine the mixture into a smooth paste. Add the oatmeal and use your fingers to work the oatmeal into the paste evenly. Add the almonds and use your fingers to work them through the mixture. Set aside.
- n a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- Mix the berries together in a bowl and set aside.
- n a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg, vanilla and almond extract and beat until smooth. Beat in one cup of the flour mixture until just combined. Add half of the buttermilk and blend into the batter. Add remaining flour, beating until just moistened. Add the remainder of the buttermilk and mix until smooth, but don't over beat the batter.
- Spread half of the batter evenly into the prepared pan and top with half the berries. Using a tablespoon, scoop the remaining batter and deposit dollops of the batter all over the fruit. Do not spread the batter out, you want some of the fruit to poke through. Sprinkle the remaining berries over the batter. Sprinkle the streusel over the fruit.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool to room temperature and turn out the buckle onto a serving plate
- Mix together the powdered sugar and cream together until completely blended and is the consistency of a thin glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the cake. Serve.