If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The recipe for this crust is adapted from glutenfreeonashoestring.com Since many people have allergies to nuts, we thought that a gluten-free and nut-free pie crust would be a fantastic option to use for a holiday pie that you will be sharing with friends and family who may not follow a Paleo diet. Since we have family members who are allergic to nuts, and do not like coconut, this is a recipe that works well for our family gatherings. —Primal Palate
cups Gluten Free Flour (Better Batter), (crust)
teaspoon Salt, (crust)
teaspoon Baking Powder, (crust)
grams Unsalted Butter, cold, chopped (crust)
cup Water, cold, plus 1-2 tsp (crust)
Granny Smith Apple, peeled, cored, and sliced (filling)
Lemon, juice and zest (filling)
teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract, (filling)
cup Maple Sugar, (filling)
teaspoons Primal Palate Apple Pie Spice (http://www.primalpalate...)
tablespoons Tapioca Starch
Egg, Plus 1 Tbsp cold water for egg wash
- Add the gluten-free flour blend, sea salt, and baking powder to a food processor, and pulse until combined.
- Add the cubed and chilled butter, and pulse again until you have a crumbly dough. Add 3/4 cup of cold water, and pulse again until the dough is formed.
- Transfer the dough to a large mixing bowl, and add additional water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the dough is no longer crumbly.
- Knead the dough with your hands until you have a smooth, well formed ball of dough.
- Separate the dough into two equal balls, and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator to chill.
- While the dough is chilling, make the filling.
- Peel, core, and slice your apples, and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, vanilla extract, maple sugar, Apple Pie Spice, and tapioca starch. Toss to combine, and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 9 inch pie pan with butter, and remove one ball of dough from the fridge.
- Lightly flour a sheet of parchment paper, and place your first ball of dough on to the parchment. Flatten the dough into a disk, and lightly sprinkle with flour.
- Roll the dough into a large round, about 12 inches in diameter, and 3/4 inches thick.
- Very carefully roll the dough onto the rolling pin, and roll it back out over the pie pan. Trim any excess from the edges.
- Fill the pie with the apple filling.
- Repeat with the remaining ball of dough to create the top layer of crust over your pie. Pinch the edges together with your thumb and first finger, and carefully, cut three slits in the top of the pie crust.
- Whisk together the egg and cold water, to create the egg wash. Brush with the egg wash, and place in the oven to bake for 1 hour. Allow to cool before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Apples