If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Easy almond and meringue cake with a touch of Amaretto —Marta Martinez
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 225 grams Sugar
- 100 grams Flour
- 155 grams finely grinder almond
- 0,5 grated lemon zest
- 50 milliliters olive oil
- Almond flakes to garnish
- for the syrup:
- 200 milliliters water
- 0,5 lemon and orange zest
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 125 grams sugar
- Amaretto liqueur to taste
- for the meringue
- 3 egg-whites
- 40 grams sugar
- 0,5 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- In a big bowl whisk together the egg yolks with the sugar until the mixture turns creamy and pale.
- Whisk the egg whites until foamy and picks form.
- In smaller bowl combine the flour, grinder almond and lemon zest. Pour it over the egg yolk and sugar mixture and whisk to combine. Add the olive oil and mix again.
- Add the foamy egg-whites to the mixture by spoonful, one at a time, trying not to lose so much air from the egg-whites.
- Once all the ingredients are combined, grease a rectangular form with a bit of olive oil and pour the mixture in it. Bake it at 180ºC for 20 minutes, until the sponge cake is baked. Take it out from the oven and allow to cool down at room temperature.
- While the sponge cake is in the oven, prepare the Amaretto syrup. Prepare a little bouquet with the fruit zest and the cinnamon stick. Bring the water, sugar and bouquet to a boil and once the mixture is boiling remove it from heat, cover it and let cool down to room temperature. Once the syrup is cold add the Amaretto to taste.
- While the sponge cake and the syrup cool down, prepare the meringue. Rub the interior of your whisking bowl with lemon. Whisk the egg-whites strongly until foamy and strong picks form. Then add some drops of white wine vinegar and keep whisking. The vinegar acidity will help to keep the meringue strong. Add the sugar one spoon at a time, whisking in between until the meringue is sweet and glossy.
- Once the cake is cold, cut it into aprox. 6cm squares. Pour over each portion a the syrup, top it with a meringue cloud and garnish it with some almond flakes.
More Great Recipes: