If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: South Indian style applesauce? , Not quite, actually this is a quick sweet n savory chutney known as pachadi . Usually made with green mangoes, the condiment has flavors for each taste bud type, sweet, sour, salty and even a hint of bitter from the toasted fenugreek added in the tempering. And loads of umami . —Panfusine
Makes 2 cups
- 2 Granny smith apples
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 birds eye chili slit longitudinally
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon split urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 6-7 curry leaves torn
- 1 whole arbol chile
- salt to taste
- peel, core,quarter and cut the apples into thin slices. combine with water and cook down with the turmeric, salt sugar and split green chili. you don't want the apples to completely mush up, just enough to retain some shape.
- Heat the oil add the mustard, urad, arbol chile and the fenugreek seeds. once the mustard pops, and the urad and fenugreek turn a golden brown add the curry leaves. Toss this mixture into the apples and stir in.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Apples