If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Inspired from the show The Chew, and by recipe of Carla Hall for Hush Puppies. —Kalpana
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed shredded apple like granny smith
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- Combine and whisk dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Combine and whisk beaten egg, buttermilk, and melted butter in a medium bowl.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Add apple and cheese. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop dough with a small ice cream scoop or large spoon and drop into preheated oil and fry for 4 to 5 minutes until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine honey and sriracha sauce for dipping.
- Serve hush puppies with dipping sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Apples