If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My boyfriend's mom's world-famous German apple pancake, which, like most family recipes, she says she found way back in a newspaper (The LA Times) which credits it to a restaurant called Sow's Ears. I guess that means this recipe is on its fourth incarnation. —Leslie Stephens
Makes 1 apple pancake
- 5 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 small apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Combine 2 tablespoons of the melted butter with eggs, milk, granulated sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and flour. Beat by hand or in mixer until mixed.
- In a 10-inch skillet, heat remaining 3 tablespoons butter with apple slices in 10 inch skillet until sizzling and slightly cooked. Pour in batter and sprinkle top with brown sugar. Bake for 25 minutes or until well-browned and puffed.