If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A naughty and nice cake, that combines the light, fluffy, airy-ness of angel food cake, with the dense, chocolatey, richness of devil's food cake. —Madeline Hall
Makes 2 8-inch cakes
Angel Food Cake
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar, divided in half
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375. Whisk cake flour and half of the sugar, set aside. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until stiff peaks are formed. Slowly add the other half of the sugar, and continue beating.
- Add flour mixture and vanilla slowly, beating continuously on a low setting. Make sure it is thoroughly combined, and then pour into prepared 8” cake pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through. Top should be bouncy and spring back when touched!
- To remove from pan, run knife along inside, flip over, and slap all sides until cake pops out.
Devil's Food Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup hot coffee
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Combine oil, coffee, and milk and whisk together at medium speed for 2-3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat for 2 more minutes.
- Transfer to a greased 8” round cake pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 15-20 minutes and then flip onto a rack to continue cooling.
- for assembly: When cakes are completely cool, set the devil's cake on a cake stand or plate. Slather with a thick layer of your favorite vanilla frosting, then add angel food cake layer. Frost the top, and feel free to frost the sides or leave them naked as I have done! Garnish with fruit or chocolate shavings.