If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you want to make a different kind of layer cake, and impress your guests at the same time, this is the perfect cake to make.
First of I want to apologize for the different kind of measurements, but it is because I use European measurement and the recipe I have adapted from use US measurements.
The recipe is slightly adapted from le jus d'orange http://bettysliu.com/2014/12/02/matcha-vertical-cake-roll/ —Patricia Brehmer
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 5 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- Line a 41.5x43.5 cm baking sheet with parchment paper.Prepare a clean tea towel and sprinkle powdered sugar over it. Set aside. Preheat oven to 400F.
- Sift together cake flour, baking powder, matcha powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and milk until pale yellow and thicker.
- Whisk egg whites until foamy but stiff peaks form. I lift the beaters from the batter, and if the peaks stay in shape, then I deem it ready.
- First, add flour mixture to yolk mixture and fold until combined. Then, add 1/3 of the egg whites and fold until just combined. Add another 1/3 and fold. Add the final 1/3 and fold. The texture should be light but not fluid like water. It should be thick.
- Spread batter into prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, until toothpick test comes out clean.
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake. Invert onto your prepared tea towel. Gently remove parchment paper. Gently roll, starting from the shorter edge, to create a loose roll. This shapes the cake without causing any cracks. Cool completely to room temperature.
Chocolate Ganache and Assemble
- 200 grams 70% dark chocolate
- 300 milliliters heavy whipping cream
- 40 grams honey
- Chop the chocolate to small chunks and place them in a plastic bowl
- Heat cream and honey on the stove until just boiling
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let sit for 30 seconds. Then starting from the center mix the chocolate and the cream until smooth and all the chocolate has melted.
- Let it sit at room temperature for at least 3 hours.
- When the cake has cooled and the ganache has set you are ready to assemble.
- Start by whipping the ganache to make it a bit fluffy. then unroll the cake and spread a thin layer of ganache all over.
- Using a knife, cut cake, with chocolate ganache, into 1-2″ strips lengthwise. Start from the short edge and run the knife all the way to the other short edge, and try to be as straight as possible.
- Start with one strip and roll. When you get the the end, simply pick it up and place it right on top of the edge of another strip. Roll the new strip over the roll you have already. Repeat with every strip. Soon, your roll will be big enough that a new strip won’t even cover one circumference of the roll.
- When you’ve reached the last roll, simply gently tip it over and place it on its circle-face on a plate. Now when you cut into it, you will have vertical stripes, a result of the numerous rolls you produced.
- Finish by frosting a crumb coat – take a little bit of ganache and simply spread it, using an offset spatula, across the surface. Refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Spread rest of chocolate ganache across surface.