If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My goal for this recipe was for it to be mellow and not too custardy. I always make a double batch because a) it's awesome, and b) I don't know what to do with half a bag of coconut. Enjoy! —creaturecuisine
Makes 1.5 quarts
Coconut ice cream base
- 2 cups Whole milk
- 7 ounces Sweetened, shredded coconut (half bag)
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Canned pineapple syrup
- 1 pinch Salt
- 3 Egg yolks
- 1 pint Heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Rum extract
- In a sauce pan mix whole milk and coconut & simmer for 10 minutes. Turn to low heat for an additional 10 minutes and let cool. When it's cool enough to handle, wrap in cheesecloth and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. This should produce around 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk.
- Return the coconut milk to the saucepan and simmer. Add sugar, pinch of salt & pineapple syrup from your tidbit can. Whisk the egg yolks in a separate bowl and SLOWLY add the hot coconut milk to temper the eggs.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and put back on heat and simmer until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add vanilla and rum extract and chill in the fridge.
Pineapple swirl in
- 3/4 cup Canned pineapple tidbits
- 1/4 tablespoon Butter (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Brown sugar
- Maraschino cherries
- Preheat the oven to 320 degrees.
- Scatter the pineapple tidbits on a cookie sheet topped with little teeny pats of butter and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, chop them up half-assed and then cool separate from the ice cream base.
- Use your ice cream maker according to directions. Note... most folks strain their mixture, but I don't have a dishwasher and hate washing strainers, so I have had zero problems not straining as long as I don't super-spatula the bottom of the pot.
- My ice cream maker takes 20 minutes to do its thing, so at the 15 minute mark I slowly add the pineapple.
- Serve right away if you're going for soft ice cream, but I think it's way better if thrown in the freezer to firm up. Garnish with pineapple and maraschino cherry.
- Musical Pairings for your listening pleasure: •My Little Grass Shack (Kealalekua Hawaii) ~Martin Denny •An Occasional Man ~Jeri Southern •On a Coconut Island ~Louis Armstrong & The Polynesians •Sleep Walk ~Santo & Johnny
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dried Fruit