If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my family's all-time fall favorites! Using grass fed ground beef makes all the difference in the flavor (for me it comes fresh from my parent's farm), and the sweet potatoes and orange zest offer a refreshing twist. It’s yummy, new, and comforting all at the same time. And because it’s loaded with super-foods – black beans, sweet potatoes, and zucchini – it’s GOOD for you, too.
Adapted from the Sweet Potato Chili recipe on www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com. —Farmer Girl Meats
Makes 1 large pot
- 1 pound Lean Grass Fed Beef
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 Large Sweet Potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 Small Zucchini, diced
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 1 28 oz. Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Small Can Green Chilis
- 1.5 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Orange Zest
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 cup Beer, ale or amber
- Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Brown the Farmer Girl Ground Beef with the onion in a large soup pot over medium heat until the beef has lost its pink color.
- Peel and chop the onion, sweet potato, and zucchini.
- Once the ground beef is browned, add the chopped veggies and the ingredients from the black beans to the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add ½ cup to 1 cup of beer, depending on how much liquid you like in your chili.
- Decrease the temperature to a low simmer and continue cooking until the sweet potatoes are soft, approximately 2 hours.
- Garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Family's Best Thanksgiving Recipe