Author Notes: Caldo Gallego is the traditional soup of Galicia, a region in the northeast of Spain. —TammyRenea
cups dried white beans
ham knuckle or 1 ham bone, or 1lb. pork bones
teaspoons paprika (preferably Spanish)
pound potatoes, peeled and diced
bunch turnip greens, rinsed and coarsely chopped
spanish chorizos (6.5 oz total), cut into pieces
- Soak the beans overnight in cold water.
- Rinse beans then add them back to the pot with the pork.
- Cover with 8 1/2 cups of water and season them with the salt, pepper and paprika.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer 1 hour covered. (Skim off foam)
- Remove the pork bones from the broth and add the potatoes, turnips, and chorizo.
- If you like, pull the meat of the bones and add back to the pot.
- Return the pot to a simmer and cook for 30 more minutes.
More Great Recipes: