Author Notes: My kids love these buttery, crispy potato bites. Per their request, I added cheese to the inside of the potatoes. I've used my streamlined cooking method so your family can have cheesy crispy potatoes in no time! They are a hit at holidays. —Leith Devine
pound yukon gold or fingerling potatoes, small
garlic cloves, smashed
tablespoon olive oil
pound fontina cheese (or cheese of your choice)
bunch parsley, chopped
- Rinse the potatoes off and cut off any brown spots. Place in in a large microwave safe bowl and add water to cover. Add garlic cloves and salt. Cover with microwave safe plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high for 10 minutes or until potatoes are softened and can be poked through with a knife.
- Drain potatoes and place on cutting board. Melt butter and olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Using the heel of your hand, gently crush potatoes until the skin breaks and they are partially flattened.
- Add crushed potatoes to melted butter and fry until golden and crispy. Turn over. Check the bottom of the potato, and when almost done, insert a small piece of fontina cheese into the potato opening of the side already crisped.
- Put a lid on the pan for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted. Remove potatoes from pan and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
- In this picture, I used parmesan cheese, which melted very quickly into the potatoes. I wanted a more substantial cheese that wouldn't immediately melt.