If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A healthier burger full of fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants by blending chickpeas with vegetables, herbs and spices. —Grace O
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 425° F. In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, celery and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add parsley, curry powder, salt, cumin, black pepper, cayenne, oregano, basil and sauté for 1-2 additional minutes until incorporated then remove the skillet from heat. Puree the chickpeas in a food processor or blender, pulsing until a course puree develops, adding water 1 Tablespoon at a time if needed. In a large mixing bowl combine chickpea puree, vegetable mixture, egg, and panko breadcrumbs. Mix well. Hand form patties and place on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 20 minutes, turning once halfway through, until golden on the outside.
- While some veggie patties are fried or cooked in oil, these spicy chickpea burgers are baked golden brown and offer a mildly spicy aroma. A very simple meal, this recipe can be prepared in a matter of minutes. Serve these savory patties on a whole grain bun with a fresh green salad for an easy meal full of nutrients and flavor.