Author Notes: This sauce is an equal combination of red-skinned apples and purple plums. The color is beautiful, and this sauce is terrific with both pork and roasted chicken, not to mention a Thanksgiving turkey. You can make this sauce in advance, and freeze it for the Big Day. With only 4 ingredients, it is a beautiful and easy addition to the Holiday meal. —Bevi
Makes: 8 to 10 ample portions
medium sized red-skinned apples, skins left on
large purple plums, skins left on
2 to 3
tablespoons honey, or to your taste
- Pit the plums. Core the apples. Section both the plums and apples into sixths.
- Place in a 3 quart saucepan and fill with water up to 2 inches from the rim of the saucepan. Bring to a rolling simmer, and then cover.
- Check often to see when the apples become mushy, and then turn off the heat. After 5 minutes, run the plum and apple mixture through a food mill.
- Add the cinnamon and the honey, and stir thoroughly. Serve warm or at room temperature, You can also freeze this sauce after it has completely cooled.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Savory Stone Fruit
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Family's Best Thanksgiving Recipe