If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The saga of my continuing efforts to feed my vegan son-in-law continues. He won't eat white flour or anything with added fats or oils, and is now restricting his consumption of nuts -- hence the lack of crust for this pie (even recipes for crusts without added fat use nuts). None of the vegan versions online seemed to be what we were looking for, so I looked at a number of non-vegan recipes online and in cookbooks, then made this up. It was a success -- and we're all set for Thanksgiving. —louisez
Makes 1 large pie
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 4 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (12 oz.) coconut or other non-dairy yoghurt (unsweetened, unflavored)
- solids from 1 can of coconut milk (chilling makes it easier to separate solids)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- dash Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- Prick potatoes all over with sharp knife. Microwave on high about 10-20 minutes, turning over once; potatoes should be cooked till soft. Let cool. Once cool, remove skins and place potato flesh in a food processor.
- Add all other ingredients to processor, and process till very smooth, about 3-5 minutes, scraping sides of processor down occasionally.
- Pour into 9" cake pan or 10" pie pan that has been sprayed with spray oil and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven about 45 minutes or till just barely set. Cool; refrigerate to store. Can be served with whipped coconut cream (chill a can of coconut milk; remove solids only and put in a mixer bowl; beat till consistency of whipped cream).
More Great Recipes: Pies & Tarts