If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe comes from my grandmother's, Evelyn Stephens née Kent (but Mimi to me), collection c. 1930s. I had the skip the pineapple. #sorryimnotsorry
Here are her notes, "A good vegetable chock full of vitamins... Adds color and distinct flavor to any meat course... poultry or ham especially." —Leslie Stephens
Serves 5 to 6
- 5 to 6 medium sweet potatoes
- Dash of cinnamon
- Chopped nutes (almonds or walnuts)
- Butter for greasing
- Mini marshmallows, to top
- Cook sweet potatoes in their jackets in a pot of boiling water until fork-tender. Drain and allow to cool for about 5 minutes for easy handling.
- Peal and mash well or whip lightly with a bater. Add salt and butter to taste. Add the chopped nuts and mix well.
- Lightly spoon the mixture into a buttered casserole and bake in moderately hot oven until well heated through. Remove from the oven and quickly top with miniature marshmallows for a decorative touch and return to the oven until marshmallows are delicately browned.